Friday, September 19, 2014

Current Events, Bubbles, and Behind the Scenes

I hope all of you are having a fantastic week!

Please forgive us for missing our post dates sometimes! As I'm sure each and every one of you know, life gets busy and crazy things happen, so sometimes you don't get to everything you need to.

This week I had the opportunity to research a current event for my social studies class. When I signed up for Friday, September 19th, I had no idea that it would come up so quickly! I had a vision in my mind of how amazing my current event presentation was going to be and how everyone would be thinking, "Oh my gosh! That girl is so smart and so cool! I wish my current event was that sweet!" And then, some cute boy would say, "Hey, you know, she's so cool I think I'll ask her to homecoming!" And the rest would have been history...but... it didn't exactly work out that way! Last night I spent hours looking for any piece of news that wasn't extremely depressing and scary! Website after website, story after story, all about killers and angry people and war. I finally found an article about how there seems to be a new trend in the media of messages telling teenagers, especially girls, to be themselves and to not worry about how they look on the outside. This was the only "event" I could find that didn't make me want to crawl under my covers with my teddy bear! My presentation today most definitely did NOT win me a homecoming date, but I did learn something from all of this. In this final dispensation, the world around us has become a scary place. It has been prophesied by prophets that these last days will be difficult for those trying their best to keep the commandments of God. The standards of the world, and the standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are very far apart. As a high school student, I can testify of this! I see it in the lives of my peers every day. The world and the "current events" of today are depressing and they are scary. What is important to remember is that God knows this and He has saved His strongest children for these last days when He knew He could count on us to share the gospel and be a light to the dark world around us. We have a responsibility to stand strong and shine the light of Christ to those around us who are searching for strength in all the confusion.


Shine the light!


Today was a long Friday, but thoughts of the exciting weekend kept me going! Tomorrow there is a stake dance, and I cannot tell you how excited I am! I LOVE to dance and so getting to do so in a wholesome environment with all of my friends is heaven on earth! You'll never guess what the theme is... bubbles, soap, foam, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but it's going to be fantastic! My dad who organizes the dances (at least the good dances!) around here, has had this idea for a bubble dance for years, and tomorrow his dreams come true. He bought some special bubbly stuff and we are going to fill up a pavilion with foam and then set up laser lights everywhere to shine into it. The bubbles send lasers everywhere! Then you add music and a bunch of energetic Mormon teenagers and you've got a recipe for success! (Want to see how this actually turns out? I'm pretty interested myself! Check out my post next Friday when I'll post pictures and tell you all about it!) But, there is no way any of these wonders could have been possible without my dad being amazing and spending countless hours approving and finding music, decorating, coordinating, testing and fixing lights, untangling cords, etc! Do you have any idea how hard it is to find music that doesn't have cuss words, doesn't suggest immoral sin as acceptable, and has a danceable beat? Then find enough of it to fill an entire dance! Let me tell you from many hours of experience searching with my dad, it's really hard! I think that sometimes we take for granted all the things around us. Most of them didn't just come out of no where! People had to spend hours and hours sacrificing to make them wonderful for us. Just like a play, the people backstage don't get the applause but they do most of the work. I can see just how many hours are spent on these dances, so when people complain about them it makes me sad because they just don't realize how hard my dad workes for them. So, this week, maybe try to take a moment to appreciate the people behind the scenes who make the show worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about music...one of my laurel projects was a dance, and, if I remember correctly, most of my hours spent on it were sorting the wheat music from the chaff. :-P

    ReplyDelete