Thursday, September 11, 2014

I hate The Notebook...let's watch Star Wars and eat junk food!

Well I'm probably going to make every other female in the world hate me in this very first sentence, but I'm just gonna be real; I really can't stand the movie "The Notebook".  Go ahead, say I'm not a real girl and I'm deprived and need therapy, but I have only seen that movie once and I hope to keep it that way.  Something about it just makes me want to gag.  Maybe something's wrong with me, but when it comes to chick flicks I would much rather watch a romantic comedy than a super sappy love story.  However, even that isn't always my first choice.

I'm going to let you in on a secret...I'm kind of a big nerd (just kidding, it's not really a secret to anyone who knows me). :)  My favorite movie(s)?  Star Wars, hands down.  As my best friend would say, "NERD ALERT!"  I have definitely gotten in nerd arguments with my girlfriends because they think Star Wars is dumb and they just want to watch chick flicks...they just don't understand!


I'm not entirely sure why I ended up loving Star Wars so much.  Maybe it's because the original trilogy reminds me of my childhood (we were really cool and had the shiny gold Special Edition boxed set on VHS).  Or maybe I've just always had this deep-set desire to be a lightsaber wielding Jedi knight.  Whatever the reason, if I have the option, I will almost always go for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or some other movie of that sort.  Maybe I just like Harrison Ford... ;)


It may be a little worse for the wear, but man this was the coolest thing back in the day!

But at any rate, any kind of movie you watch requires a snack...preferably popcorn.  Sometimes, though, you need a change from the overly salty-greasy-buttery variety you find at the movie theater.  I got this recipe for Jell-O Popcorn last Summer and it is addicting!  I would munch on this all day long if I could.  Not to mention that it's super easy and you can make any flavor you want (my personal favorites are raspberry, strawberry, and lime, but I've also tried lemon and mango).  It's  a lot like that candy popcorn you can buy at the grocery store except you have more flavor options and it's WAY cheaper.  The popcorn can either be popped in an air popper or on the stove with just a tiny bit of oil to keep the kernels from burning.  Sorry I don't have any photos at this point in time because I haven't had the chance to make it recently, but it will happen soon!  I've got a couple boxes of Jell-O just waiting in my kitchen cupboard.

Candy Jell-O Popcorn

8 cups popped popcorn (1/2 c kernels)
1/2 stick butter
3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 Cup sugar
1 (3.5oz) box flavored Jell-O


1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  
2. Heat butter and corn syrup over medium high heat until butter melts.  
3. Stir in sugar and Jell-O and bring to a boil.  Turn down heat and let simmer 5 minutes.  
4. Pour over popcorn and stir in a large bowl.  
5. Spread on foil-covered and greased cookie sheet, bake for 10 minutes (trust me, you'll want the foil for easy clean up...otherwise you end up with one very sticky pan).

The baking at the end isn't 100% necessary, it just depends on if you want sticky popcorn or not.  The baking helps caramelize the candy coating so it's less sticky and messy.  Just let it cool for a few minutes before eating of course!

And clearly the last step in this process is to pop in an episode of Star Wars, sit back, and enjoy nerding out with your fantastic popcorn!  Enjoy, folks!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment