Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Year Ago...

Who wants to hear a story?  It's a pretty fun one I think, but I might be just a little bit biased.  It's the story of my first date with this one really cute guy who ended up being my husband.  So it's a story that I'm particularly fond of! :)

It was a Sunday morning, and my roommates and I were at church, talking to our home teachers and their roommates (whom we had met, but didn't know all that well).  One of them was a particularly good-looking guy and just happened to be wearing a tie that I loved.  After mentioning it to him a few times because I loved it so much, he proceeded to sit next to me in Sunday school and we chatted a bit more.  We talked about the potluck we'd both be going to later at a mutual friend's place and he said he'd like to bring cookies but he didn't have any of the stuff to make them.  That cheeky sneaky little devil.  I played right into it and said, "Well I have ingredients, you could come over and make some!"  I didn't think he'd actually do it, but after church he said, "Okay, cookies tonight right?"  Pleasantly surprised, I said yes and we did indeed make cookies for the potluck that night.

This is from when we first started
dating...we're still this weird.
Now a little background, I have to let you know that I LOVE dancing.  People who knew me when I was younger may not believe it, but I started going Latin dancing on Friday nights my sophomore year of college and absolutely fell in love with it!  I would usually go with my best friend Tori, but the after she got married (who does that??) I would either go by myself or try and convince my friends and roommates (or anyone, really) to go with me.  It was the highlight of my week to be able to take a break from work and school and just go have fun.  So needless to say, at the potluck that Sunday evening Jared and I had been talking the entire time and I mentioned that he should come dancing that weekend.  He then slyly asked for my phone number and later that night suggested we make dinner before we went dancing, officially making it a date.

On the evening of our date (one year ago last Friday), he picked me up and took me to his place and we proceeded to make dinner. The process would probably have been fairly uneventful if Jared hadn't found a chicken butt in the bag of chicken thighs he had bought.  Literally, a tail piece of chicken (I don't know what it would technically be called, or if that would even have a technical name).  He thought that was just about the funniest thing and even wiggled it right in my face.  Luckily, I liked him enough that I thought it was funny too, even if he was kind of a dork.  We shared dinner with another of his roommates and his date, and continued on to Latin dancing!  Jared ended up being a fair dancer, compared to so many others I've met who can't keep a beat for the life of them.  He was a very good sport about the whole thing and we even learned a few new steps together.  It was clearly an excellent date and led to many more in the following weeks.


Now, the interesting part about this whole date were the things I found out later; #1 He doesn't even really like dancing, but it was a perfect date opportunity and he knew I liked it so he went.  #2 He doesn't like Corn Flakes, and what did we make for dinner that night?  Corn Flake chicken.  I didn't find this fact out until after we were married, but when I asked him why he didn't tell me that on our first date, he said he didn't care that night, he just wanted to be with me.  He hardly even remembered that that's what we made...sounds like he wasn't too focused on the dinner. :) Man, this guy was a keeper right from the beginning!

And it really is true.  There is no one else I would rather spend forever with than this man, my eternal companion.  It means so much to be with someone who wants to spend just as much time with you as you do with them.  He makes me smile every day and constantly reminds me how much I mean to him.



So, my friends, we are living proof; one great date can change your life...it certainly did mine!


P.S. If you like our engagement/bridal/wedding photos, you should check out more fabulous photography by our brother-in-law, A.J. Jones here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment