Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie for Busy Moms

How many of you remember those frozen chicken pot pies you used to eat once-in-a-blue-moon as a kid?  You know, the ones that were never quite cooked all the way on the bottom, but you didn't care because this was a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity?  (Or maybe they're still part of your daily diet? #lucky)

As amazing as those were...forget it!  These are WAY better!

Mini Chicken Pot Pies--in Muffin Form
(Or "cupcake" form...they're about that good!)


 I don't know about you, but I have considered the possibility of making a real chicken pot pie in the past, just because I really wanted one.  But, somehow, the prospect scared me out of it.  It just seems so involved.

But then I found the recipe for these, and I figured, THIS, I can handle!

I have tweaked it a little to make it work for me.  So if you want the original recipe, click the link in the paragraph above.

Mini Chicken Pot Pies
  • 2 (10 oz) cans Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits (I actually make my own biscuits.  I will include the recipe below.)
  • 1 chicken breast, poached & diced
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (10 oz)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup frozen mixed veggies (mine has carrots, peas, green beans, and corn)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Onion powder
  • Garlic powder
  • Italian seasoning
  • Thyme
  • Salt & Pepper
Biscuits:
Mix:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Cut in:
  • 6 Tbsp. cold butter or margarine
Add:
  • 1 cup milk
Stir it together.  Then knead 8-10 times on a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll it out to about 1/2 thickness.  I then use the metal screw band from a canning jar to cut out 12 biscuits.

Now back to the "pies":
  1. First you have to poach the chicken breast (which I had never done before I made this...but it was super easy!).
    1. Place chicken breast in the bottom of a small pot.
    2. Sprinkle salt, pepper, some herbs (I usually use italian seasoning, thyme, rosemary...etc.) and a bay leaf on the chicken.
    3. Cover the chicken breast with water or broth (or a little of both).
    4. Bring to a boil, then quickly turn the heat to low so the water is barely at a simmer.  Partly cover and gently simmer for 10 min.
    5. Turn heat off completely, and leave the chicken in the hot water for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.  
    6. Shred or dice the chicken.
  2.  In a large bowl combine the cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, frozen veggies, cheese, and spices.

  3. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.  Press the biscuits into the bottom and sides of each cup.
  4. Evenly spoon the pot pie mixture into each biscuit cup.

  5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges of biscuits are golden brown.
  6. Let sit for 3 minutes, then DIG IN!
You may be thinking, "You crazy, Lauren!  12 little muffins isn't enough to feed my family for dinner."  You'd be surprised...these are VERY filling!  I usually can only eat 2.  MAYBE 3, if I really want to stuff myself.
 
These are so delicious!  You will not regret trying them out!

Seriously.

Go make them.

Now.

Let me know how it goes!

And again, contact us if there is something you'd like to see us write about!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment